One of the questions I get asked most when people find out I write is, “Oh, how do you have time?” I usually just smile and move on, because explaining to those people, that I’d rather be writing than watching hours of television every night would be pointless. However, there are a ton of us who work full-time, are mothers/fathers, husbands/wives, and still find time to write. I thought I’d give a couple of suggestions that help me squeeze in my favorite pastime. How do you manage to find the time and still be everything to everyone?
1. Get up earlier/Stay up late – for me getting up earlier is not an option. I don’t want to be awake before the sun comes up, because nine times out of ten, I’m still awake well after midnight. I choose the latter of the two. Once my kids and hubby are tucked in bed and off to dreamland, the house is quiet and I can get to work. Yes it means I sleep less, but it’s so worth it.
2. Turn off the tube! – I can’t say this enough get away from the brain sucking box of death. I know that some people don’t believe me when I say I don’t watch TV. And that’s not true. I do watch Sunday nights from 8-9 without fail. We have over 100 channels and nothing is ever on except Sponge Bob.
3. Limit/Schedule your marketing and social media time – This one is hard for me, because once I sign on to Facebook I get sucked into the vortex of doom, and it may be hours before I can pull myself out. I’m trying to set time limits and not use marketing as an excuse to surf aimlessly 🙂 I said TRYING!!!
4. Write at lunch or on your breaks – a lot of days I stay in at lunch. Most of the time the office goes quiet, and I can get in a few minutes of interruption free writing.
5. Get out of Bed – When you can’t sleep (which for me is often), don’t just lay in the bed staring at the ceiling. Get up and write. The minutes and hours are going to pass regardless of whether you’re tossing and turning or getting some writing done.
I’d love to hear all about how you juggle the responsibilities that come with be a writer. Send me your comments!
Monique O’Connor James